Friday, July 22, 2016

Extraordinary Connections of My Children

**Written on Monday, June 18**

Yesterday on the way home from church, we passed a cemetery. Vinny saw it and said, "There's Alfy." It wasn't actually Alfy's cemetery which I sort of explained to him but it didn't really matter. He will forever associate cemeteries with his brother, Alfy (and our cat Piper, who he also mentioned:). 

He then proceeded to ask about Baby Vinny, who is Baby V, who is now Anna June. We told Vinny that Baby Vinny was a girl and that she is Heaven too. He insists on calling her Baby Vinny, which is fine. But, what really opened my heart was his words after we tried to explain her name.

"Baby Vinny (Anna June), she loves me." 

Pointing at me with a huge smile on his face, "She loves you too!"

Do children have a connection to our dead loved ones that we do not? I've read about it, (like the book 'Heaven is for Real') and have even thought Vinny might dream of Alfy at times when he wakes up talking about him, but had not experienced it in such a profound way before. It's as if Vinny has already talked to her in his dreams or in some world that I, as an adult, cannot let go enough to enter. 

I hope he is connected that way. I hope he knows his siblings at a level that is beyond me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment