Tuesday, July 3, 2012

My Four-Legged Family Members

It's almost the 4th of July.  Fireworks are going off like crazy in our neighborhood.  Our dog is sitting underneath my legs.  She is so scared of them.  I wish I could do more to comfort her.  Tonight we will not be going on our nightly walk.  The walks are a nice habit Tony and I have formed.  They aren't long, but they get us off the couch, away from the TV and they are great for Desda (our dog).  Tonight I am missing our walk.  I doubt we'll make it tomorrow evening either, maybe I'll take her in the morning instead.

Desda - Relaxing on the couch with her pillow

Our cat, Piper, on the other hand, is not phased by the symphony of booms outside.  She has given Desda several looks of disdain.  I'm sure she is wondering why Desda is acting like such a wuss and doing her kitty best to prove her superiority. 

Piper - Removing a tag for me

I'm writing pet stories cause I don't have any kid stories at this point.   I had planned to have my own child to be telling new mom stories about right by now, sleepless nights, diapers, crying, spit-up, smiles, all the stuff new moms talk about.  Truth be told, I probably wouldn't even be on here if Alfy was here.  So for now, I will probably occasionally tell stories about my pets.  I consider them part of my family and love them dearly.  They have never judged me or questioned my thoughts.  They bring a smile to my face when I least expect it.

Last night Tony and I were talking about our living room.  His parents have offered to give us one of their recliners, which we would love, but currently can't fit it in any rooms.  Tony came up with an idea, we move our love seat to the basement room, the futon in the basement up to the spare room and take the crib down.  It makes me sad to think about that, Tony too.  I cried during the whole conversation.  When we finished, Desda jumped up on the couch, sat next to me and licked the tears off my face.  Normally, I don't allow any dog to lick my face, but she was just so concerned and wanted nothing more than to cheer me up a little.  She succeeded.

Piper has been chattier than ever and works her magic in the mornings.  I think she misses the days of when I was home with her.  She chats at me every morning while I'm brushing my teeth,  before my shower, getting ready for work.  As soon as the water comes on though she's out the door.  When I'm finished, she's right back in the bathroom.  Our door doesn't shut all the way without some force and Piper pushes it open when she hears me turn the shower off.  I can hear it every morning and for just a moment my heart stops because I'm paranoid someone has broken into our house and is going to get me in the shower (I've watched too many horror movies).  But she always announces her arrival and peaks her head around the shower curtain to make sure I'm still in there.  The shower is an emotional place for me sometimes so I enjoy the company when I'm done.  


I love my pets. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment