Thursday, December 6, 2012

St. Nicholas, Patron Saint of Children

Did you know that December 6 is the day of feast for St. Nicholas?  St. Nicholas is said to be the patron Saint of children (among many other things).  His life and deeds are where the story of Santa Claus originated.  I have a dear friend at work, Christopher, who becomes St. Nicholas for another one of our friend's children each year.  The story goes that children are to put their shoe on their doorstep on the eve of December 6.  If the children have been good, St. Nicholas leaves sweets and gold coins in their shoes, if they have not been good, they might receive something like a branch.  In many stories, St. Nicholas also rode a horse on his travels, so many children also leave apples or carrots for his horse.  

Christopher, as I said, has been St. Nicholas for our friend's children for many years.  They are getting older, as most children do and St. Nicholas will slowly start to lose his magic.  Before leaving work today, Christopher handed me Alfy's St. Nicholas gifts.  There was an apple and an oragne and some chocolate gold coins and even some Dots for Tony and Starbursts for me.  He told me that when I had told him I was expecting, he was excited to have another child to carry on the tradition with.  He consider us all part of his family.  I consider him part mine.  Our children are like nieces and nephews to him.  What a wonderful friend to have. 

I'm not sure that I can put into words all the feelings that welled up inside of me at that moment.  It was a beautiful, painful, wonderous, sad, awe-inspiring moment filled with so much love and joy.  I could feel it burning in my chest.  I felt like the love and happiness was going to poor out of me at that moment, and it did, in tears.  It was also strange to feel so incredibly joyous and so incredibly sad at the same time.  That's not quite right...I feel joy and sadness together all the time, anytime Alfy is mentioned or thought of, which is pretty much all the time for me.  I think it made such an impact because it was a friend who was willing to share such a personal moment with me.  The moment was wonderful.

So, contrary to my post from the other day, today I was full of hope.  My friend inspired me and reminded of the good in people.  I am so grateful and honored to call him my friend.

I want to thank Christopher (aka St. Nicholas) for inspiring hope.

Also, we've already discussed next year, I will be retrieving some dried horse manure from my parent's house to leave on the sidewalk of our friend's house to add to the authenticity of St. Nicholas and his horse:)  Good times, great fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment